Update iPhone 3GS and iPhone Baseband to 06.15.00 Using PwnageTool 4.1.3 for iOS 4.2.1 (Easy-to-Follow Guide)
12/01/2010 04:42:00 PM - 0 comments
Because of the new PwnageTool Unlock Edition 4.1.3, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G users will be given an opportunity to unlock their device with the help of both PwnageTool and Ultrasn0w carrier unlock tool version 1.2, thanks for the iPhone Dev Team for developing and sharing this very helpful tools. However, unlike form the previous tools and jailbreak/procedures, the jailbreaking/unlocking procedures for iOS 4.2.1 on iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G are bit complicated as it required users to update their baseband of their device to 06.15.00. Note that you should only perform this tutorial if your iPhone has a baseband of 05.14.02 and 05.15.04.
YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! PLEASE UNDERSTAND THE CONSEQUENCES OF UPDATING TO 06.15.
1. There is no way to come back down from 06.15, and there’s no hiding the baseband version from Apple. You’ll be voiding your warranty in a very obvious way.
2. If some future baseband comes out with a critical fix, you won’t be able to update to it if it remains down in the 05.xx sequence (then again, you wouldn’t update to it if you wanted to keep your unlock anyway).
3. Starting with FW 4.2.1 if you have 06.15 on your iPhone you won’t ever be able to restore to stock firmware (it will fail). You’ll need to only restore to custom IPSWs (then again, if you’re unlocker you should already be doing that).
Update iPhone 3GS And iPhone Baseband To 06.15.00 using PwnageTool 4.1.3
Step 1: Gather all materials required.
• Create a new folder o your desktop and named it as “Pwnage” so that you can easily locate your files.
• Download the required iOS 4.2.1 or iOS 4.1 and iPad 3.2.2 firmware file from here (Required for 06.15.00 baseband) from this link.
• Download PwnageTool 4.1.3 using this link.
Go to this link for the rest of the procedures.
Update: If you are an iPhone 3GS user, there is another alternative for you. iPhone 3GS users (with old bootrom) can install the Unofficial PwnageTool bundle before you use the PwnageTool Unlock Edition 4.1.3. The PwnageTool bundle will also allow you to update your device to iOS 4.2.1 while preserving your baseband. Meaning, you don’t need to update your baseband to 06.15.00.